"It just sounded like a crackling something," Aldean says in first major interview since tragic mass shooting last month.
Jason Aldean initially thought the gunshots that rippled through the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas on Oct. 1 were a blown out speaker.
The country music star appeared on the "Today" show Tuesday morning to discuss the traumatizing experience in his first major interview since the worst mass shooting in modern American history.
"We wear in-ear monitors when we're on stage, and really all you can hear is the music and maybe your guys that can talk to you on microphones that are on the side-stage. So when it first happened, I thought a speaker had blown," he explained. "It just sounded like a crackling something and so, I'm kind of looking around like, 'What is that?' Trying to figure out what it is. Then it stopped, so I was like, 'They must have got it fixed,' so I kept doing my thing."
But once the disturbing crackling sound kicked in again, the 40-year-old singer got frustrated that the sound continued to interrupt his music.
"It lasted longer the second time," he said. "I was actually kind of getting aggravated so I looked over at the monitor guy on the side of the stage and I was like, 'What is that? and fix it.' So when I turned and looked, my guitar player had run behind me and was telling me to move, like, 'Let's go,' and my security guy was running on stage telling me to run."
Aldean described the atmosphere during the attack, which claimed 58 of his fans' lives and injured 489 others, as "just panic" and hopes everyone can heal.
"I just want everybody to know for me, this is something that obviously we're all going to try to move on and I have to do that as well, but it's something I'll never forget," Aldean said. "I hope everybody can start to heal. Some of the stuff you'll never get over. I hope it gets better for everybody as time goes on."