MSNBC responds to 1999 Chris Matthews sexual misconduct allegations and confirms the staffer was paid a severance settlement.
Hollywood harassment developments don't rest on the weekend.
As more and more victims come forward with allegations of sexual harassment, other prominent public figures are sounding off with their own takes on the ongoing harassment scandal. After Matt Damon was bashed for his thoughts on the subject last week, Rose McGowan hopped on Twitter to bash Meryl Streep and actresses for a proposed silent protest during the Golden Globes.
Even allegations considered long since addressed and resolved are resurfacing, as MSNBC was forced to publicly respond to the 1999 allegation against Chris Matthews with a statement saying that issue had been addressed at the time internally and was considered resolved.
Meanwhile, new allegations continues to surface, such as a lawsuit against Gene Simmons alleging the rock star committed sexual battery during an interview, while old stories continue to develop, with "Bad Santa" director Terry Zwigoff coming out in support of Peter Jackson's claims that Harvey Weinstein effectively blacklisted Mira Sorvino.
Here are the latest developments:
Rose McGowan Slams Proposed Golden Globes Protest
The proposed silent protest at the Golden Globes of the sexual harassment problem in Hollywood that would see Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, and Jessica Chastain, among others, wear black dresses, was met with angry criticism by Rose McGowan.
McGowan has been one of the loudest voices of the #MeToo movement, breaking an NDA to call out Harvey Weinstein. "Your silence is the problem," she tweeted of the women, many who have worked with Weinstein over the years.
Actresses, like Meryl Streep, who happily worked for The Pig Monster, are wearing black @GoldenGlobes in a silent protest. YOUR SILENCE is THE problem. You’ll accept a fake award breathlessly & affect no real change. I despise your hypocrisy. Maybe you should all wear Marchesa.— rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) December 16, 2017
The Marchesa dig is in reference to Weinstein's wife, Georgina Chapman, who co-founded the fashion company.
'Bad Santa' Director Says Mira Sorvino Was Blacklisted, Too
After Harvey Weinstein denied Peter Jackson's claim that Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd were blacklisted from consideration for roles in "The Lord of the Rings" films, "Bad Santa" director Terry Zwigoff came out in support of Jackson and Sorvino, saying that she was blacklisted by the Weinsteins from appearing in "Bad Santa," as well.
I was interested in casting Mira Sorvino in BAD SANTA, but every time I mentioned her over the phone to the Weinsteins, I'd hear a CLICK. What type of person just hangs up on you like that?! I guess we all know what type of person now. I'm really sorry Mira. https://t.co/9U0PsL2yS5— Terry Zwigoff (@realzwigoff) December 16, 2017
Weinstein has denied any involvement with casting for either film project through a spokesperson. She said, "Mr. Weinstein denies speaking with Terry regarding casting. That was a Dimension film," adding that the brothers "had nothing to do with it."
Harvey, however, is listed as a co-executive producer for "Bad Santa" on IMDb.
Gene Simmons Denies On-Camera Sexual Battery
An anonymous woman has filed suit in Los Angeles against Gene Simmons, alleging that the Kiss bassist made unwanted sexual advances toward her during an on-camera interview on Nov, 1, 2017. The interview was for the Rock & Brews restaurant Simmons co-founded with Kiss bandmate Paul Stanley.
The suit alleges that Simmons put the woman's hand on his knee, turned her questions into sexual innuendos, "forcibly flicked/struck" her throat, and touched her buttocks during a promotional photo. "She filed suit because she wanted to make a strong statement that this behavior is unacceptable and she wants to see an end to this type of behavior," her attorney told San Bernadino County's The Sun.
Simmons told Ultimate Classic Rock, "I intend to defend myself against any alleged charges you may have been reading about in the media. For the record, I did not assault the person making these accusations in the manner alleged in the complaint or harm her in any way. I am conferring with my lawyers with the aim of vigorously countering these allegations. And, I look forward to my day in court where the evidence will prove my innocence."
MSNBC Chris Matthews
After a story surfaced over the weekend at The Daily Caller alleging that NBC News paid off a former staffer on "Hardball with Chris Matthews" after she complained in 1999 to management about Matthews harassing her in front of others with inappropriate jokes and comments.
A spokesman for MSNBC said that the allegations were investigated and Matthews received a formal reprimand, but the comments were taken more as juvenile behavior rather than propositions. While the woman received compensation when she left MSNBC, as confirmed by NBC News, it is unclear how much or if she left over Matthews' behavior.
She is reportedly still working in high-profile positions in the news industry. Matthews has not responded to requests for comment, per NBC News.