In case you missed, crap hit the fan -- or wind turbine -- on Friday when festival goers arrived on an island in the Bahamas to dismal accommodations after dropping upwards of $12,000 a ticket for what was supposed to be a lavish, upscale experience. The event, co-founded by the rapper who was headlining it and tech entrepreneur Billy McFarland, promised lavish tent housing, gourmet food, and an incredibly Instagram-able island party hyped up by models like Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner, but just about everything that could go wrong went wrong.
1. Fyre Festival Slapped With a $100 Million Lawsuit
Everyone was expecting it, and trial lawyer Mark Geragos was the guy who went ahead and did it. On Sunday, he filed a massive class action lawsuit against festival organizers Ja Rule and McFarland. Geragos has represented Michael Jackson, Winona Ryder, Kesha and Gary Condit in some very major defamation cases.
The class action suit was filed on behalf of festival goer Danial Jung, who is seeking $5 million in damages for a number of allegations, including negligent misrepresentation and alleged fraud. According to TMZ, the suit claimed the high-profile organizers warned famous guests not to attend in advance because they knew it was going down in the history books as a disaster.
2. Ja Rule Says Everyone Got Home Safe
Some good news: Ja Rule tweeted Sunday that all festival goers have safety returned home and have been sent the proper instructions to get a full refund for the event.
The rapper previously apologized by saying, "I truly apologize as this is NOT MY FAULT."
Relieved to share that all guest are safe, and have been sent the form to apply for a refund. Our deepest apologies... #fyrefestival
3. Bella Hadid Feels 'So Sorry' for Endorsing a Crappy Festival
In a lengthy note on Twitter, Bella Hadid apologized for her role in promoting the event.
"I just wanted to address Fyre Festival,” Hadid began, "Even though this was not my project what so ever, nor was I informed about the production or process of the festival in any shape or form, I do know that it has always been out of great intent and they truly wanted all of us to have the time of our lives."
"I initially trusted this would be an amazing & memorable experience for all of us, which is why I agreed to do one promotion…not knowing about the disaster that was to come…I feel so sorry and badly because this is something I couldn't stand by, although of course if I would have known about the outcome, you would have all known too." She ended her apology by saying, "I hope everyone is safe and back with their families and loved ones."
4. The Stories From People Behind the Scenes Are Pretty Insane
In an essay published in The Cut, Festival worker Chloe Gordon described her experience at the event. Here are the best bits:
"On Wednesday, Ja Rule arrived for a 'site visit.' I don't know if he actually visited the 'site' but he did spend a lot of time on a yacht, according to his Instagram."
"With so little having been prepared ahead of time, the official verdict was that it would take $50 million to pull off. Planners also warned that it would be not be up to the standard they had advertised. The best idea, they said, would be to roll everyone's tickets over to 2018 and start planning for the next year immediately. They had a meeting with the Fyre execs to deliver the news. A guy from the marketing team said, “Let's just do it and be legends, man.”
"That night Ja Rule gave a toast. 'To living like movie stars, partying like rock stars, and fucking like porn stars.' If Ja Rule is punished for anything perhaps it should be that."
"I did get a phone call that same night that said something along the lines of, 'Congratulations, the guys will allow you to continue to work on the festival! For two thirds of what you asked for. And we're not paying the artists yet.' So with that, I quit."
A number of YouTube vloggers have also shared videos before, during and after the event. Check out this standout from Austin Mills:
5. Local Business in the Bahamas Have Suffered
Small business at the island have been hurt because of the Fyre Festival, too. Out-Island Explorers shared on Facebook that 11 of their kayaks had been stolen from the Fyre Festival site.
"Well, not entirely surprised by this one, but very disappointed. We were told all the kayaks were there as of late yesterday afternoon. So sometime last night, someone got busy! Please contact us if you see or hear anything, or if someone tries selling you a bunch of kayaks soon," the company said.
"Just for the record to the ones responsible... if you're mad at Fyre Festival, you're only hurting a local business that brings people to the island doing this. You're not getting back at them with this move."
Waiting for your permission to load the Facebook Post.