As new details about the "Bachelor In Paradise" scandal slowly emerge, those involved with the ABC series are starting to speak out.
In case you missed it, the reality show shut down production Sunday on filming Season 4 after allegations of "misconduct" were reported. "BIP" had only been filming for a few days before it was suspended "indefinitely" and sent the cast members back home from their filming location in Sayulita, Mexico.
Concerns were raised over an alleged sexual encounter between contestants Corinne Olympios and DeMario Jackson after they had been drinking. According to TMZ sources, Corinne insists she was "so wasted she was incapable of giving consent, and blames producers for not calling a halt to the escapade." She reportedly has no memory of what transpired.
Show host Chris Harrison released a lengthy statement about the incident on Tuesday morning.
"By now no doubt you have heard that we have suspended production on this season's Bachelor in Paradise. I can confirm to you that this is sadly the case. Out of respect to all involved, there's only so much I can and will say at this time," the statement read. "Normally with a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there I don't find that to be possible anymore."
"Let me start by saying the safety and care of the cast and crew of our show is of the utmost importance to us. It is with this thought in mind that we made the decision to suspend filming. Out of respect to all involved, there's only so much I can and will say at this time. Normally with a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there I don't find that to be possible anymore."
He added Warner Bros. is "handling all the details of that investigation. They're moving quickly to gather all the facts, and once that's done a clear concise decision can be made about where we go from here."
"I know in this day and age we want and even expect immediate answers but in this case it's just not possible," he added. "So again I urge you to please be patient and respect the privacy of the parties involved. I will keep you as informed and up to date as I possibly can. We're sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused the cast, the crew and our loyal fans. It is my sincere hope that we can come to a quick resolution on this and get back to work very soon."
Dominique Alexis, who was filming the current season of "Bachelor In Paradise" when everything went down, did an interview with "The Tomorrow Show with Keven Undergaro" on Monday alongside "Vanderpump Rules" star Tom Sandoval, where she said she believes what transpired is "up to personal interpretation."
"I literally wasn't there, I didn't see anything happen, at all. I think a lot of it is up to personal interpretation," she explained. "Whoever is making these allegations, I guess interpreted it one way, the parties may interpret it another way, and I think that that is what is really being disputed. So, I literally don't know what's true and what's not true. It kind of went from 0 to a 100 really quickly, and you know, we are all kind of confused."
She went on to explain why she doesn't think the show should be canceled.
"For this cycle, I think it's best probably not to [continue filming]. As a series as a whole, I don't think they should cancel it. I think it's a great show. We can all agree 'Bachelor in Paradise' is probably one of the better of the three shows. It's very fun, it's very tongue and cheek," she said. "And it's much more laid back, which obviously can be room to, for things to go awry which can happen in any show. But I don't think they should cancel it. I hope they don't cancel it. It's one of my favorite shows, personally. I'd love to be able to do it next summer if we get a chance to."
Alexis also said producers do "look out for us as much as possible" and the cast members themselves all "kinda help each other out" when it comes to getting "too inebriated" while filming.
"We've never been encouraged to do anything that we were not comfortable with. I know that's a rumor but that's not true," she said. "We are all, you know, adults, we're all over the age of 21, whatever we decide to do, you know what I mean like, if we decide to drink, if we decide to hook up, that's completely within our power."
"I've never ever been encouraged to do anything I never wanted to do, you are at liberty to walk away and say no from whatever you want, so I think in this scenario it's very interesting you know to see that this may be called into question but as a cast mate I've never feared, you know, being put in a scenario where I would be taken advantage of," she added.
Alexis also explained that the reaction to this story online has made her "pretty angry," as many of the show's contestants have experienced backlash over their disappointment in production being halted.
"I think we've been sort of accused of a lack of, like, empathy and I think that's been a little unwarranted," she explained. "So I think a lot of us are really upset about the backlash we've received."
"To be honest, I'm kinda angry at fans who have ... I'd rather I would say online trolls who have kinda jumped the gun and assumed that, you know, we as cast mates are lacking empathy for [Corinne]," Alexis explained. "And I think that's not true at all ... a lot of us, unfortunately, are legally bound by our contracts. We're not allowed to say any details. So all we can really say is, you know, it's unfortunate, we're upset that this happened, and that's pretty much that, at liberty, all we're allowed to say."