The 57-year-old former POTUS definitely has his finger on the pop culture pulse of America, and highlights some more obscure content you may have missed.
Barack Obama once again proved he's, by far, the coolest president the United States has ever had.
The 44th POTUS took to his Instagram account Friday morning to share his annual batch of things he loved in 2018, including music, movies and books. If we weren't already in love with his recommendations, we're going to give each one of them a shot, because this guy has great taste and clearly has his finger on the pop culture pulse of America, which is a commendable accomplishment for anyone over the age of 35.
"As 2018 draws to a close, I'm continuing a favorite tradition of mine and sharing my year-end lists," he captioned the post. "It gives me a moment to pause and reflect on the year through the books, movies, and music that I found most thought-provoking, inspiring, or just plain loved."
"It also gives me a chance to highlight talented authors, artists, and storytellers -- some who are household names and others who you may not have heard of before," he continued. "Swipe through to see my best of 2018 list -- I hope you enjoy reading, watching, and listening."
The fact that Obama even shares this list ever year makes him cool, however, the items on the list show he's not only hip, but keeps up with pop-culture. If you don't believe us, check out his list of movies. Many of the films are either critically-acclaimed or nominated for the upcoming Golden Globes or SAG Awards, including "Black Panther," "Roma" and "If Beale Street Could Talk."
When it comes to the top tracks of the year, Obama again proved that he knows his stuff. The former politician not only listed popular hits, but also noted Grammy-nominated albums and songs, including "I Like It" by Cardi B feat. Bad Bunny and J. Balvin, "Apeshit" by The Carters (a.k.a Beyonce and Jay-Z) and "Make Me feel" by Janelle Monae as some of his fave tunes of the year.
Check out the full lists below.
- "Apes**t" by The Carters
- "Bad Bad News" by Leon Bridges
- "Could've Been" by H.E.R. (feat. Bryson Tiller)
- "Disco Yes" by Tom Misch (feat. Poppy Ajudha)
- "Ekombe" by Jupiter & Okwess
- "Every Time I Hear That Song" by Brandi Carlile
- "Girl Goin' Nowhere" by Ashley McBryde
- "Historia De Un Amor" by Tonina (feat. Javier Limon and Tali Rubinstein)
- "I Like It" by Cardi B (feat. Bad Bunny and J Balvin)
- "Kevin's Heart" by J. Cole
- "King For A Day" by Anderson East
- "Love Lies" by Khalid & Normani
- "Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae
- "Mary Don't You Week (Piano & A Microphone 1983 Version) by Prince
- "My Own Thing" by Chance the Rapper (feat. Joey Purp)
- "Need a Little Time" by Courtney Barnett
- "Nina Cried Power" by Hozier (feat. Mavis Staples)
- "Nterini" by Fatoumata Diawara
- "One Trick Ponies" by Kurt Vile
- "Turnin' Me Up" by BJ the Chicago Kid
- "Wait by the River" by Lord Huron
- "Wow Freestyle" by Jay Rock (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
Obama added, "And in honor of one of the great jazz singers of all time, who died this year, a classic album: 'The Great American Songbook' by Nancy Wilson."
- "Black Panther"
- "The Death of Stalin"
- "Eighth Grade"
- "If Beale Street Could Talk"
- "Leave No Trace"
- "Minding the Gap"
- "The Rider"
- "Support the Girls"
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor"
Obama also made a lengthy list of his favorite books of the year. Like the previous lists, the items are in alphabetical order. However, for this particular list, Obama put former first lady Michelle Obama's memoir "Becoming" right at the top, adding that the book is "obviously his favorite."
Scroll through all of Obama's year-end lists on Instagram below to see his book recommendations.
As 2018 draws to a close, I’m continuing a favorite tradition of mine and sharing my year-end lists. It gives me a moment to pause and reflect on the year through the books, movies, and music that I found most thought-provoking, inspiring, or just plain loved. It also gives me a chance to highlight talented authors, artists, and storytellers – some who are household names and others who you may not have heard of before. Swipe through to see my best of 2018 list – I hope you enjoy reading, watching, and listening.
Got a story or a tip for us? Email TooFab editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.