Sony Breaks Silence After Reports of Spider-Man Getting Booted from MCU Leads to Fan Outrage (Updated)
Marvel
The 'Spider-Man Far From Home' Premiere Was a Star-Studded Event

"F--K YOU SONY," a person tweeted.

UPDATE 8/20/2019 9:23 p.m. PT

Sony has released a statement after a day of speculation and outrage following news that the studio and Disney were unable to reach a deal that would keep Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Admitting they were "disappointed" in this result, Sony didn't exactly clarify what the results of the impasse mean for Spidey's MCU future.

Instead, it focused on the fact that MCU boss Kevin Feige would no longer be involved with the Spider-Man franchise, but Sony says that much of the reporting of this story as "mischaracterized" discussions between the studios, while confirming only that Feige would not be "a lead producer" of the next live-action film.

Another line open for interpretation is their praise of Feige's work thus far, with Sony saying they "appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue." Does that mean they will continue with Spidey as part of the MCU, or just continue with Tom Holland and Feige's characterization of Peter Parker. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.

You can check out the full statement received by ComicBook.com below:

Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.

ORIGINAL STORY

Two more Tom Holland "Spider-Man" films are reportedly in the works, however, they won't be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And fans, for one, are not happy.

Fans angrily stormed to Twitter on Tuesday after Deadline reported Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will no longer be producing any more "Spider-Man" movies after Disney and Sony Pictures were unable to untangle their months-long web of disputes and reach a co-financing agreement.

Although the last two films Feige produced shattered records -- "Avengers: Endgame" became the highest-grossing film of all time and last month's "Spider-Man: Far From Home" became the highest-grossing film for Sony Pictures -- it didn't seem to be enough.

Sources told Deadline that Disney wanted any future "Spider-Man" films to be a 50/50 co-financing agreement. After Sony turned that down, they reportedly proposed to keep their current arrangement where Marvel receives the range of 5 percent first-dollar gross. This time, Disney refused.

"Spider-Man" aficionados slammed the news on Twitter by expressing their frustration through memes, GIFs and clips. Some people even took jabs at Sony's "Spider-Man" villain film "Venom," which was critically derided, yet financially successful.

"Well I enjoyed the good #SpiderMan movies while we had them," a user wrote. "So much was connected to the MCU and now all of that will be ignored. Nick Fury was set up to have a larger role and his relationship with Happy. This stinks Sony."

"F--K YOU SONY," a person tweeted as another threw in a Marvel joke: "F--k you 3000." Another fan even called the studio "bloody monsters" for not agreeing to the deal.

See how fans reacted in the tweets below.

Got a story or a tip for us? Email TooFab editors at tips@toofab.com.

This Week in Celebrity Pictures Getty Zendaya Debuts New Red Hair in London for 'Spider-Man' Photocall

Hot Videos

Advertisement