"It's a very difficult time. A lot of people are without power," Lt. Larry Crowson told the broadcaster. "I know it's cold, but you've got to be careful about using generators or cars inside a garage, or any type of fire, grill or charcoal grill. Carbon monoxide is odorless and can kill people very easily."
Carbon monoxide is toxic, and particularly dangerous because it is odorless, tasteless and colorless, thus virtually undetectable without an alarm.
Texas is currently in the grip of a devastating winter storm that has crippled the power grid, leaving millions without electricity to heat their homes
According to the Houston Chronicle, Harris County alone has seen more than 300 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning — mostly from people using BBQ pits and generators indoors in an attempt to stay warm.
Meanwhile in Sugar Land, just outside Houston, a grandmother and her three grandchildren were killed in a house fire on Tuesday; investigators do not yet know what caused the blaze, but suspect it accidentally started from either candles or a fireplace lit amid the power loss.