While the apartment was disinfected and the ceiling removed, KTSM reported a foul smell still lingered and it was full of flies.
Cardenas was forced to move out to a hotel, and is continuing to look for an apartment within her budget, and has received zero compensation from the company. She said she did not have renter's insurance, since it was not required.
She said she was so traumatized by the incident she can't eat or sleep; she also wants a medical exam to ensure she doesn't have an infection.
"It was awful, an awful impact," she said.
Attempts by TooFab to contact the company by phone were unsuccessful.
A GoFundMe to help her in the meantime has raised more than $2,300.
"An unfortunate death occurred in the apartment above mine which resulted in me being forced from my home with nowhere to go," she wrote. "The apartments are not providing assistance with an alternate housing situation. They even refuse to accept or return any of my calls."
"The ceiling was destroyed and I have been forced to throw away all items covered in bodily fluids due to the incident. This requested go fund me assistance will help with temporary shelter and replacement of my clothing and belonging that were contaminated. Any assistance is appreciated in this time of need."