Crock-Pot tells TooFab: "We want consumers first and foremost to know they are safe when using their Crock-Pot."
Crock-Pot is setting the record straight after Tuesday's devastating "This Is Us" hinted a faulty slow cooker was responsible for Jack's death.
"Crock-Pot understands the concerns brought up by last night's episode of 'This Is Us,' and we too are heartbroken by the latest development in Jack's story line," a Crock-Pot spokesperson told TooFab Wednesday. "However, it is important that our consumers understand and have confidence that all Crock-Pot slow cookers exceed all internal testing protocols and all applicable industry safety standards and regulations as verified by independent third-party testing labs. For nearly 50 years, with over 100 million Crock-Pots sold, we have never received any consumer complaints similar to the fictional events portrayed in last night’s episode. In fact, the safety and design of our product renders this type of event nearly impossible."
"In addition, and most relevant to the concerns consumers are having after watching the recent 'This Is Us' episode, our Crock-Pot slow cookers are low current, low wattage (typically no more than 200 or 300 watts) appliances with self-regulating, heating elements. The product is designed to cook foods over a longer period of time at low temperatures and the switches connect to only one side of the power line voltage, so there is never a high voltage applied directly across our switches," they added. "The switches within our slow cookers are subjected to additional internal testing, which includes a Rotary Knob Endurance test, Rotary Knob Force Test and Flame Burning Test and constructed of self-extinguishing, flame resistant material."
Crock-Pot continued to explain that they hope NBC and the writers of the hit drama will work with them in the coming episodes to spread the truth about their product's safety.
"While we know their primary mission is to entertain – something they have continued to excel in – we also feel they have a responsibility to inform. Just like many fans, we will be watching next week's episode to see how Jack's story progresses and, regardless of the outcome, we want consumers first and foremost to know they are safe when using their Crock-Pot."
The lengthy statement comes after show creator, Dan Fogelman, reminded viewers that it was a fictional appliance, not to be confused with the crock-pots sitting on their own counters.
"Taking a moment to remind everyone that it was a 20-year-old fictional crock-pot with an already funky switch. Let's not just lump all those lovely hardworking crock-pots together," he tweeted.
But that didn't stop fans from tweeting at the company and commenting on its Facebook page to express their concern -- some joking, some serious.
We’re 💔 over last night’s episode, too! But don’t worry, you can still make your favorite meals in your #CrockPot with confidence. We want to assure all consumers we rigorously test our products for safety. DM us & we’d be happy to tell you more about our safety standards.— The Crock-Pot® Brand (@CrockPotCares) January 24, 2018
"Jack Pearson was our Valentine so we equally understand your pain with his loss," the company said to another concerned customer on Facebook. "We love him and we love you too. Don't further add to our heartbreak by no longer using Cock-Pot Slow Cookers. Rest assured out products have been generationally tested by your family and friends. DM Us with any questions, and we'd be happy to tell you more about our safety standards."
"We're heartbroken over last night's episode, too! Ruthie, we're innocent until proven guilty," the company said to another "This Is Us" fan. "Since the 1970's we have been providing families with quality and safe products, ask your parents if you don't believe us. DM us with any questions, and we'd be happy to tell you more about our safety standards."