"I love you 3,000," Holland told the crowd.
"Spider-Man: Far From Home" star Tom Holland broke his silence for the first time since the devastating news Spider-Man may be forced to leave the MCU.
During Disney's D23 expo Saturday, the actor was greeted with a standing ovation when he appeared on stage to promote his upcoming Pixar film "Onward." Holland alluded to the Sony/Disney split and expressed his love to the fans.
Spider-Man Fans Furious at Sony as Web-Slinger is Booted from MCU Over Disney FalloutView Story
"It's been a crazy week," Holland said, according to Deadline. "But I want you to know I am grateful from the bottom of my heart and I love you 3,000."
Fans were angered on Tuesday after Deadline reported Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will no longer be producing any more "Spider-Man" movies after Disney and Sony Pictures were unable to untangle their months-long web of disputes and reach a co-financing agreement.
Although the last two films Feige produced shattered records -- "Avengers: Endgame" became the highest-grossing film of all time and last month's "Spider-Man: Far From Home" became the highest-grossing film for Sony Pictures -- it didn't seem to be enough.
Sources told Deadline that Disney wanted any future "Spider-Man" films to be a 50/50 co-financing agreement. After Sony turned that down, they reportedly proposed to keep their current arrangement where Marvel receives the range of 5 percent first-dollar gross. This time, Disney refused.
Cobie Smulders Was Just as Surprised About That 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Twist as Everyone Else (Exclusive)View Story
Two more Holland "Spider-Man" films are reportedly in the works, however, they won't be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Sony released a statement one day later, admitting they were "disappointed" over the news. However, in this result, Sony didn't exactly clarify what the results of the impasse mean for Spidey's MCU future.
Instead, it focused on the fact that MCU boss Feige would no longer be involved with the Spider-Man franchise, but Sony says that much of the reporting of this story as "mischaracterized" discussions between the studios, while confirming only that Feige would not be "a lead producer" of the next live-action film.
Another line open for interpretation is their praise of Feige's work thus far, with Sony saying they "appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue." Does that mean they will continue with Spidey as part of the MCU, or just continue with Holland and Feige's characterization of Peter Parker. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
You can check out the full statement received by ComicBook.com below:
Much of today's news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige's involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
Got a story or a tip for us? Email TooFab editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.