Lovato's "RAW" and "REAL" photo inspires serious praise from her famous friends.
Demi Lovato is winning high praise on Instagram, after sharing an unedited bikini photo and celebrating her "authentic" self.
After admitting she had Photoshopped some of her past swimsuit photos from back in May, Lovato shared an un-retouched image from the same exotic getaway, along with a lengthy caption about reclaiming her confidence. The post now has almost 8 million likes -- nearly double what the original images had -- and 272,000 comments, including many from her celebrity fans.
"This is my biggest fear. A photo of me in a bikini unedited. And guess what, it's CELLULIT!!!! I'm just literally sooooo tired of being ashamed of my body, editing it (yes the other bikini pics were edited - and I hate that I did that but it’s the truth) so that others think I'm THEIR idea of what beautiful is, but it’s just not me," she captioned the photo (above).
"This is what I got. I want this new chapter in my life to be about being authentic to who I am rather than trying to meet someone else's standards. So here's me, unashamed, unafraid and proud to own a body that has fought through so much and will continue to amaze me when I hopefully give birth one day," she continued. "It's such a great feeling to be back in tv/film while not stressing myself with a strenuous workout schedule before 14 hour days, or depriving myself from a real birthday cake rather than opting for watermelon & whip cream with candles because I was terrified of REAL cake and was miserable on some crazy diet shit. Anyway, here's me, RAW, REAL! And I love me. And you should love you too!"
She added that she's "not stoked" about her appearance but is "appreciative of it" and hopes "to inspire someone to appreciate their body today too."
Among the top commenters was "The Bachelorette" alum Mike Johnson, who has previously flirted with Lovato in the past. His comment: "Look at me like that again 😏 love yaself 🙌🏽." She responded with a couple emojis of her own, writing, "😘😝."
He was hardly the only one dipping in the comments -- read some of the other celebrity reactions below:
- Ashley Graham: Showing us YOU is so incredibly beautiful. Thank you Demi! Love you Mama!
- Hailey Bieber: YES 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 U LOOK INCREDIBLE. ❤️
- Scooter Braun: YOU did this. YOU. YOU are amazing...YOU are smart...you are beautiful... you are wonderful... you are brave...and you are kind. And I’m proud of YOU. Hell Im proud to know YOU! Bravo for loving YOU first and in turn inspiring millions.
- Debby Ryan: I love you. thank you thank you thank you for this — you’re also unequivocally the hottest so
- Dianna De La Garza, Demi's mom: You never have to meet ANYONE ELSES STANDARDS EVER AGAIN, YOU ARE FREE!! So FLY, Baby Girl - set the world on fire. DO IT!!
- Ronda Rousey: You look even better without the editing
- Iskra Lawrence: Love how vulnerable you are in this crazy world of perfected photoshop and messages everywhere telling us we aren’t good enough. Thank you for being strong and authentically you
- Eiza Gonzalez: You are a mega talented babe D. Remember there’s only one of you, and that’s your power.
- Sofia Carson: thank you.
- Uzo Aduba: Just beautiful, lady. 😘😘😘
- Catelynn Baltierra: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!! Don’t ever care what ppl think!!!!
- Jenna Fischer: This is amazing. You are amazing.
- Lindsey Vonn: Yes!!!! Don’t be ashamed!! Be proud!!!
- Jamie Chung: You. Are. Perfect the way you are.
- Niecy Nash: WE LOVE ALL OF YOU DEMI!
The post also had single emoji or one-word praise from stars including Kim Petras, Christian Serratos, Donald Faison, Sarah Hyland and Jamie Lynn Spears.